My parents just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and I gifted them by sending them to the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas for a couple of days, and then they came here to Florida to spend a few days with us. I made my Baked Ziti for them Tuesday night – and they loved it. They have arrived back in NH – still without power from the storm, and are staying in a hotel for the next two nights. And speaking of power, we had a momentary loss last night which for some reason, managed to take out the cable (neighbors, too). We still don’t have cable yet today….grrrrrr.
Anyway….please enjoy this Baked Ziti with Three Cheeses recipe!
Baked Ziti with Three Cheeses
- 16-ounce box ziti
- 1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (or any Parmesan cheese)
- 1/4 grated Asiago cheese
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 24-ounce jar good quality marinara sauce (I use Rao’s)
- 2 tablespoons basil chiffonade (roll 3 or 4 leaves up and thinly slice)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the ziti in boiling water per box instructions; drain.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the egg and add the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and Asigo cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a 13×9 baking dish, spread half the jar of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Add the cooked ziti, and then layer the ricotta mixture on top of the ziti. Evenly distribute 3/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella on top of the ricotta layer along with one tablespoon of the basil. Top with the remaining half jar of marinara sauce followed by the remaining 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella and remaining basil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, and let rest for 10 minutes.