This recipe already ran as part of my food photography and styling challenge with The Inspired Plate for our September theme of “fall drinks” on my photography blog at Stacey Siegal Photography…..but it’s worth a share here as we progress further into fall (FINALLY here in Florida!). All recipes were made with Maker’s Mark bourbon, including the one below.
Maker’s Mark Mulled Apple Cider
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2-inch knob of fresh, peeled ginger
- 10 cloves
- 10 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 2-inch orange peels
- 4 slices orange
- 4½ ounces Marker’s Mark bourbon
- 1½ ounces Grand Marnier
- orange slices for garnish
- Place the apple cider in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, grated nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice berries, brown sugar, orange peels, and orange slices and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes, giving it a good stir now and then.
- For each serving, pour 1½ ounces of bourbon and ½ ounce of Grand Marnier into each glass. Strain the spices and orange peel and slices from the cider mixture into a large glass measuring cup using cheesecloth. Carefully top with the apple cider mixture and garnish with an orange slice.
Servings : 3 (okay so two BIG ones!)
Recipe adapted from Peck the Beak