I’m normally not a big breakfast eater but find myself constantly on the lookout for morning meal ideas that are maybe just a little bit unusual and surprisingly delicious and satisfying. This recipe which I adapted from one of my magazines some time ago features nutritious quinoa (KEEN-wah) which is very high in protein and fiber, making this dish a great way to fuel your body for the day ahead.
Red Quinoa Power Breakfast
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well in a colander
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- ½ cup dried apricots, diced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon orange zest, divided
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Cover the quinoa with the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and then keep covered.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the almonds and pine nuts and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden brown, about two minutes. Add the apricots, maple syrup, ½ teaspoon orange zest, raisins, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Add the quinoa to the pan and combine with the apricot mixture and heat through. Divide into four bowls and top each with a dollop of ricotta cheese and remaining ¼ teaspoon orange zest.
Makes 4 servings