Okay, so this is rich. And decadent. And perfect to serve as a holiday appetizer. Happy Holidays from Kitchen Serendipity!
Decadent Chicken Liver Deviled Eggs
- 12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise* (see below)
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- snipped chives for presentation
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- sprinkling of balsamic sea salt or regular sea salt (optional)
- Carefully remove the yolks from the eggs and mash in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the two tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken livers with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet in a single layer and sauté until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan to a plate.
- Add the wine to the pan, scrape up any browned bits and add the onions. Let the onions soften in the wine as it reduces, 1-2 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the chicken livers and the onions and pulse until combined. Add the egg yolks, mayonnaise, and Dijon mustard until combined again with a creamy texture. Add the heavy cream and pulse one last time until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the chicken liver filling in a gallon-size plastic zip lock bag, snip a corner off the bottom, and pipe the filling into each egg half. Garnish with chopped chives, balsamic sea salt , or sea salt.
Makes 24 hors d’oeuvres
*To hard-cook eggs, add eggs to a pan of cold water and bring to a gentle boil uncovered. Cover pan and remove from the heat and let sit for 12 minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl filled with ice water until the eggs are cool.
© 2013 Stacey Siegal | Kitchen Serendipity
Thank you to my hair stylist for the inspiration for this appetizer!