Well, we have entered the land of braces and that’s always a good reason to whip up a smoothie! I wanted to attempt something a little different (my son is NOT going to go for a green smoothie – I can guarantee that!) and to also include ice cream which I’ve been known to do from time to time. I will go ahead and assume that “winter peach” is an oxymoron (although they must come from somewhere in the winter??) so instead I thought about canned peaches. Why not? This smoothie is a great combination of peach, vanilla, and banana flavors – I even used the new (or I believe it’s referred to as a “seasonal” flavor) Peaches ‘n Cream 2% milk from Promised Land Dairy which is available in my regular grocery store. If you can’t find it, feel free to substitute orange juice or anything else that you have on hand. The same goes for the ice cream; you can always swap it out for frozen yogurt or yogurt (just add a few more ice cubes).
If you would like to add a nutritional boost – add a heaping tablespoon of ground chia seeds. Chia is a valuable source of alpha-linolenic acid which is an essential Omega-3 fatty acid that improves heart function as is a great source of fiber as well. And it tastes great in a smoothie!
He hasn’t asked for Tylenol (yet) but he is having his share of smoothies. Poor kid but all will be worth it in the end.
Winter Peach and Banana Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 8.25 ounce can of peach chunks in water (no sugar added)
- ½ (heaping) cup vanilla ice cream (or frozen yogurt or yogurt)
- ¼ cup Peaches ‘n Cream milk (Promised Land Dairy) or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 (heaping) tablespoon ground chia seed (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth; serve.
Servings 1-2 (makes about 1½ cups
© 2014 Kitchen Serendipity | Stacey Siegal