I needed to change up breakfast a little bit. Too many mornings with Greek yogurt was just getting old and boring!! I picked up a loaf of Asiago cheese sourdough bread (which is great just on it’s own!), added pesto, chopped tomatoes, and shredded mozzarella cheese and a quick toast under the broiler – and voila!! Awesome, delicious cheesy goodness! This doesn’t really require a recipe, but it’s fun to share nevertheless if you’d like a new breakfast option. Or lunch. Or for a dinner appetizer. I won’t tell if you don’t make it for breakfast. Make as much or as little as you would like – each slice of bread uses about one tablespoon of pesto. I used prepared pesto – if you would like to make your own, please try these recipes from The Pioneer Woman or from Ina Garten.
Two-Cheese and Pesto Breakfast Bruschetta
- Loaf of Asiago cheese sourdough bread (or your favorite cheese bread)
- made-from -scratch or prepared pesto
- one vine-ripened tomato, chopped
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Several basil leaves, rolled up like a cigar, and finely sliced (chiffonade)
- Preheat the oven broiler. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on a sheet pan and add the slices of bread.
- Top each slice of bread with one tablespoon pesto, a scattering of chopped tomatoes, and a generous amount of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the finely sliced basil leaves.
- Broil for 2 minutes until the cheese has melted and the bread begins to turn golden brown on the edges.
Serves: As many as you would like