LOL…..sorry…..I was in Boston last week and being a New England girl at heart, it’s hard to avoid the “New Englandisms” when one is there. Almost stahted forgetting my R’s where they should belong and then subsequently adding them where they don’t belong……..okay, on that last one – I still do that!!! Idea is “idear” and will always be that way I guess!
As you may have already figured out, the smoothies I tend to create are more like the bad boys of Boston rather than the Green goddesses of Vermont. So with that being said, blood oranges are beautiful in color and flavor and are going out of season as do most citrus fruits at this time of the year. So don’t hesitate!! They are still in my market – so please pick up a few at yours to make this smoothie. If you can’t find them, using regular oranges is totally fine. Feel free to get a little swankalicious and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt to the blender as well. The blood orange sorbet works so beautifully here and most specialty stores carry it – I used the Ciao Bella brand that I found at The Fresh Market. This smoothie is super refreshing, and the tartness is tamed by the almond milk and agave nectar. I hope you try it! Adjust the sweetness to your liking…..if you use sweetened almond milk, you may not need as much agave nectar. Be your own judge for what is right for your palette. Enjoy!
Blood Orange Smoothie
- ½ cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (or regular orange juice – but fresh if you can)
- 1 cup blood orange sorbet (find at specialty markets)
- 1 frozen banana (cut into chunks before freezing)
- ½ cup unsweetened or sweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- dash pure vanilla extract
- scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients in a blender and blend to combine.
Serves 2 | Makes 1½ cups