Well I think today is a cold April day just about everywhere – it’s even chilly here in Florida this morning! Some of you got snow – yikes! Growing up in New England, the random snowstorm in April was a common occurrence but after such an unforgiving winter in many parts of the country, I think everyone needs spring to happen – right now!
I found this recipe over on my photography website and thought today would be a great day to highlight this soup. It’s a velvety smooth and delicious, and well, cheese just makes everything taste better! Stay warm and think happy spring thoughts……
Creamy Cauliflower, Leek, and Cheddar Soup
(adapted from Clean Eating October 2012)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced leeks
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- kosher salt and coarse ground pepper
- Heat oil and butter on medium heat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add leeks with a small pinch of salt and pepper and sweat, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, stirring frequently. Add the cauliflower, potato, broth, and season with additional pepper. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cover and simmer until the cauliflower and potato are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Using a large soup ladle, transfer batches of the soup to a blender and carefully purée the mixture until smooth and add to a clean saucepan. Place the saucepan on low heat and add ½ cup of the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Season again with a bit of salt and pepper and divide soup among four bowls. Garnish with remaining shredded cheese and scallions and serve.
© 2014 Kitchen Serendipity | Stacey Siegal