Isn’t everything better with bacon? I don’t make it often, but this recipe pretty much begs for it to be added. And I haven’t made squid in a while either and don’t know why. It’s economical, low-calorie, and doesn’t always need to be fried for calamari. Well, maybe it does need to be fried often for calamari on second thought……
But this is good. Very good. And saves you a heck of a lot of calories.
And oh you noticed that this recipe also has butter in its name? Bacon AND butter? Okay, now truly try to resist.
Spicy Squid with Grapefruit Butter and Bacon
- 1 pound squid tubes sliced into rings about ½-inch wide
- 1/3 pound pepper bacon, diced
- 1 large grapefruit
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to your taste)
- kosher salt and coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 cup Pinot Grigio or other dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bunch watercress or baby arugula
- Slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit with a knife, and then run the knife down the sides to remove all the skin. Place the grapefruit in a bowl and with a sharp paring knife, release the grapefruit sections from the membrane and set aside. Squeeze the sectioned grapefruit into the bowl to extract the juice – you should have ¼ cup.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate and discard all but two tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Season the squid with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; add to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until opaque and firm, about 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the wine and grapefruit juice to the skillet and with a large wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits in the pan over medium-high heat. Using a small sieve, strain the liquid into a glass measuring cup and return it to the skillet. Whisk the butter into the sauce and set aside.
- Mound the watercress or arugula on four salad plates, and add the squid, grapefruit sections, and diced avocado. Top with the bacon and drizzle the pan sauce over each and serve.