Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Just a wee recipe for ye lads and lassies today………..it’s a little like Italy meets Ireland in one dish. Serve over pasta or boiled potatoes and enjoy with a couple of cold ones! I cooked it in my favorite new pot that I and all attendees at the Big Harvest Potluck food blogger conference in Pennsylvania received last fall – this is the 3.5 quart Covered Chef’s Casserole by Anolon. Love it, love it, love it.
Spicy Chicken Sausage with Cabbage
- 12-ounce package of spicy Italian chicken sausage (I used Coleman’s), sliced into ½-inch coins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bottle Guinness Black Lager or Harp Lager
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- cooked pasta or boiled potatoes for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the sliced sausage. Cook for 10-12 minutes until brown.
- Add the garlic and onion; stir for about 1 minutes. Pour in the beer, bring up to a boil, and reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, butter, red pepper flakes, season with a generous pinch a salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the cabbage is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over cooked pasta or boiled potatoes.
© 2015 Kitchen Serendipity