If you’ve seen any of my past smoothie posts, you probably know that I like to create them with fun-flavored ice creams and frozen yogurts such as my Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie (made with Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry Shortcake Greek frozen yogurt), Blueberry Vanilla Graham Smoothie (Ben & Jerry’s Blueberry Vanilla Graham frozen yogurt), Winter Peach and Banana Smoothie (frozen vanilla yogurt and a peaches ‘n cream flavored milk from Promised Land Dairy), and my Blood Orange Smoothie (vanilla frozen yogurt as well as a blood orange sorbet from Ciao Bella.
The holiday season has a tendency to involve eggnog consumption, so I thought it would be fun to come up with a simple recipe using eggnog flavored ice cream which can usually be found this time of the year in the major supermarkets – mine is a Publix brand. This smoothie is great on its own without alcohol for a festive morning beverage – but oh my yes please add the rum if you want to make the morning even more festive or use as a holiday beverage at your next get-together (I used Captain Morgan). I served the glasses styled for my blog with these cute spoons that I had been searching for and finally stumbled upon in Jo-Ellen’s Designs – a beautiful shop way up in Camden, ME – which are handy for scooping up the whipped topping.
Enjoy (in moderation of course)!!
- 2 cups eggnog-flavored ice cream
- 1 peeled, frozen banana
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (spice aisle nutmeg is fine, too)
- Optional for serving – refrigerated whipped topping and additional grated nutmeg for presentation
- OPTIONAL because it’s the holidays after all….2-4 ounces of spiced or dark rum
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender (except rum and whipped topping) and puree until smooth.
Serves 4 (4-ounce servings)
© 2015 Kitchen Serendipity