It’s January in Florida which means temperatures can be in the 50’s or 70’s….and lately for us it’s been one brief cold snap after another which is a very good reason to make soup! This Shiitake Broth with Macaroni and Spinach is warming and comforting and offers a nice kick from the ginger and red pepper flakes. Shiitakes are definitely my favorite among the mushroom varieties and since the stems are inedible, I thought why not make use of the entire mushroom by making a broth with the stems instead of merely tossing them out? You can remove the stems ahead of time to make the broth if you wish – the broth will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. You can also make this recipe with just regular chicken broth if you are short on time.
Shiitake Broth with Macaroni and Spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola blend oil
- 2 3.5-ounce containers of whole shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 scallions, chopped (discard the very top dark green part)
- 4 cups shiitake broth (see below) and 2 32-ounce containers (8 cups) unsalted chicken broth (such as Swanson’s). You may substitute an additional 32-ounce container (4 cups) of unsalted chicken broth for the shiitake broth.
- 1 cup dried elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 3-4 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- kosher salt and coarse ground black to taste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and ginger to the pot and cook for two minutes.
- Pour the shiitake and chicken broths into the pot and add the chopped scallions and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Add the dried macaroni; stir and cook according to package directions, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the baby spinach leaves and let wilt for a minute of so. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve.
Makes 10 cups
To make the shiitake broth:
- Stems from 2 3.5-ounce packages shiitake mushrooms
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth (such as Swanson’s)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 1-inch knob of peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and continue with the recipe or refrigerate for up to three days.
Makes about 4 cups
© 2016 Kitchen Serendipity