Summer is here! This simple recipe (not even one really?) has become my new breakfast staple, but it’s delish for any time of the day. It would also be a perfect addition to your July 4th menu!
I love the combination of flavors in this salad. You have the saltiness from the feta cheese, the crisp refreshment of the watermelon, the sweetness of the blueberries, the slight bite of the basil, and the richness provided by the extra-virgin olive oil. When making simple salads, using the best extra-virgin olive oil always makes a difference. Do you have to break the bank? Absolutely not. I use Colavita Premium Italian extra-virgin olive oil – runs about $14.99 or so for a 25.5-ounce bottle. I use it for everything but you can also just reserve it for a drizzle over veggies or in homemade vinaigrettes.
I love my new breakfast-go-to meal! It has just enough protein and healthy fats from the cheese and the olive oil and all of the antioxidants from the fruit. It kept me going through my spin and kettlebell workout this week at Go Legs which takes a ton of energy (and burns a crazy amount of calories!). Enjoy!! The portions are up to you – this is just a guide.
Red, White, and Blue Salad
- chopped, seedless watermelon
- fresh blueberries; rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese per serving
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves, chopped, per serving (roll the leaves up like a cigar and chop chiffonade-style
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil to coat all
- Toss the watermelon, blueberries, feta, and basil together. Drizzle with a good extra-virgin olive oil.
© 2016 Kitchen Serendipity