It’s summer which means that zucchini is plentiful! Here’s a delicious cold soup for those hot days.
Yield 6-8 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced thinly
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt and white or black pepper
- creme fraiche and chopped chives for garnish
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven. Add the leeks with a pinch of salt and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional two minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and saute for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth; bring to a boil and simmer for 15-18 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Using a ladle, carefully transfer portions of the soup contents to a blender. Blend and pour into a large glass bowl until all of the soup has been blended. Stir in the half-and-half and season with the oregano, onion powder, red pepper flakes (if using), and salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator to chill.
- Serve garnished with dollops of creme fraiche and chopped chives.